Saturday, September 30, 2006

something good

Yesterday I was at a bar celebrating one of my friend's birthday. Unfortunately, she was working at the bar - she was supposed to be off for the night, but one of her co-worker's children had to be hospitalized. Not a good situation all the way around.

Anyway, my crowd ended up in this little random room with random people. I somehow ended up sitting on a wooden elephant carving talking to a 50 year old guy. In the course of our conversation he asked me to tell him one good thing that had happened to me this week. And you know what, I couldn't do it. I mean, I made up some lame ass shit about my work. But really life had been pretty uneventful/filling me with apathy. I got up, I went to work, I stared at a computer screen all day, I came home, I watched tv, I ate food, I went to bed. That's about it. I did make it to a baseball game - but my team lost.

Today I can actually say that something good happened to me. I went on a long bike ride (about 30 miles) and at about mile 24, a deer came bounding onto the trail in front of me. It was so unexpected and beautiful. I was smiling in wonder for the next several minutes, and it made the ride so special. I guess it just goes to show that special things can happen out of no where when you aren't expecting anything.

No comments: