Friday, May 18, 2007

Patience

I don't have a lot of patience, either with myself or with other people. Last night, I learned that this applies to my biking as well. I had gone for a ride on Grant's trail and was the first person at a cross walk waiting for the walk signal. This couple (who I had just passed) came riding up and pulled right in front of me. I was almost at the end of the bike path before the street, but even though they got there after me, this couple decided that they needed to place their bikes right in front of mine. This wouldn't have bothered me much, although it seemed pretty rude by itself. I mean, the rules of the road apply to biking too. I got there first so the line should have formed behind me. The problem - the signal changes to walk and the husband starts riding (their bikes weren't one in front of the other, but were side by side). Wife, who is parked directly in front of me, attempts to start riding, but can't get her bike going. In fact, she has to stop in the middle of the street and try again.

This really pissed me off. I have no problem with beginning bikers. Not that long ago, I consistently had problems starting my bike. No, my problem was that she intentionally placed her bike directly in front of mine, passing me to get to the front, and then couldn't start riding. This is so rude, I don't even know how to explain it. What possessed that couple to think that was a good idea? If you don't know how to start your bike at a light, wouldn't you stay at the back? Why would you hold up other people? Its not like they got there first and just didn't move back, nope, they intentionally passed me.

Its funny, while I enjoy biking more than running most days, I enjoy runners more than bikers. Runners nod hello, are willing to go on training runs with people with less skill, and generally just nicer all the way around. Bikers on the other hand tend to be so focused on what they are doing that they don't notice anyone else. Its just interesting.

BTW - today was national bike to work day. I didn't bike to work because my commute is 25 miles each way over a very very hilly city. It would have taken me the rest of my life to bike to work (partially cause I would have died on the hills long before I got to the city). If it was next month I probably would have ridden in cause my apartment is much much closer to work. Regardless, I found it interesting that I didn't see a single biker on my entire trip in. This is likely because I drive in at the very end of rush hour for work and also because almost my entire commute is on the interstate.

No comments: