Thursday, February 01, 2007

Solving the great shin splint delimma

So, I think I have found the shin splint culprit. Until recently, I had never logged very many miles at a time on a treadmill. About all I can take is 30 minutes at a time, but recently I've been on the treadmill almost every day. Temperatures here have hovered somewhere between 10 and 25 degrees. Its simply too cold to go for a run outside (although I did my 5 last Sunday in 19 degree temps while decked out in two layers of tights and a full gator covering my face). Anyway, I had been running on the treadmill with no incline. I think this is sort of like running downhill for miles. Downhill = bad for shin splints. So for the last few runs, I've added an incline. Its made the runs more difficult, but I'm not shin pain free. This is very good. Additionally, I've doing a lot more stretching of my right calf (the one behind the shin that kept hurting). I was pretty excited when I didn't experience any pain during my four mile treadmill run today.

The other good thing - I'm beginning to not hate the treadmill quite so much. I felt so great when I finished my miles today. I was full of energy and although I was tired, my body just felt better. The quite so slowly anymore as I stare at the clock ticking by. Instead, I keep my occupied by changing the speed of the treadmill every tenth of a mile or so. A tenth of a mile passes quickly and that's a lot easier to face than the long stretch of 4 miles. Still, I really really hope it get warmer around here before I need to do an eight mile long run.

Miles Run: 4 (43:15) (I did my four miles today because all I could muster yesterday was 2)
Weight: 155 (home scale)

No comments: