Friday, March 16, 2007

apartment hunting

So for the last couple of weeks I've been searching for the perfect apartment. I've been to apartment with rents raging from $500 to $1000. I've got pretty strict requirements these days. I have to have a dishwasher and central air. Hardwood floors, a gas stove and either a free washer/dryer or hookups are almost also a must. Oh, and closet space. I must have enough space for my clothes and other essentials. And - I'd prefer not topay more than about $700 for this place, and it needs to be in a neighborhood where I feel safe coming home at night. I don't want to fear car theft or muggings. So, you see I'm picky.

I'm also realizing how lucky I am to live in a relatively inexpensive city. The last apartment I looked at was about 700 square feet and had all of my requirements (except the closet space - that's why I didn't jump on that baby). The apartment rents for $675 so its in my price range. This seems pricey to me, but when I was talking about it with train boy he was astounded. Given the rents in LA, that apartment seems like such a great deal.

I'm still unsure though. The lack of closet space was a minor issue, and the kitchen is actually not all that attractive. I really want to love my next apartment, and this place just didn't seem like it was all that. I'm looking at another one next week - its slightly more pricey - $735, but actually has a washer/dryer in unit. Sigh...I'm sure I'll find something that I love.

No comments: